CURRY! The word that strikes fear in the heart of AIPers around the world. Admit…
Rethinking Curry – Beef & Parsnip Massaman Curry with Coconut ‘Rice’
The last time I had curry was 3 1/2 weeks ago and it was the reason I finally decided to take the AIP plunge. I was dealing with my pain with exercise and for the most part I felt ok, so I didn’t think I needed to try anything so drastic. Boy was I wrong!
I came home from work and opened the fridge to find the remains of my organic produce bag – there was a beautiful eggplant, a couple of yellow capsicums/ peppers, a onion and some juicy tomatoes. I looked at the ingredients and decided curry was in order. To those ingredients I added coconut milk and green curry paste and within minutes I was enjoying a yummy curry. I enjoyed it for about 10 minutes and then I wasn’t enjoying it so much. Suddenly, every joint in my body hurt and I remembered what I had read about nightshade vegetables. Could this be what was causing my inflammation?? That was the final straw. I never wanted to feel like that again.
The next morning I started researching AIP in earnest and 20 days into the protocol, the rest, as they say is history.
BUT….I still want curry. What’s a girl to do, but come up with something to satisfy that craving.
In the interest of full disclosure I did search for AIP curries on pintrest and read this recipe, but feel like my ingredient list was different enough to call it my own.
It was quick and easy and hit the spot when it came to craving curry, and pairs well with ‘Coconut Cauliflower Rice.’
Beef & Parsnip Massaman Style Curry
with Coconut ‘Rice’
Ingredients for Curry
– 1/2 kg (1 pound) grass fed ground beef
– 2 parsnips chopped into bite sized pieces – about 3 cups
– 1/4 of a head of white cabbage – chopped – about 4 cups
– 1 large onion – diced – about 1 cup
– 1 cup of coconut milk
– 1 cup of bone broth
– 1 1/2 t ground cinnamon
– 2 t ground turmeric
– 1 1/2 t ground ginger
– 1 inch piece of fresh ginger – grated
– 5 cloves garlic – minced
– 1 t sea salt
– 1 T fat (coconut oil, olive oil or lard)
– heat the fat in a large heavy pan and brown the beef
– when the meat is almost browned, add the onion, garlic and spices and allow them to cook out for a few minutes to release their oils and flavors
– add the parsnips, cabbage, coconut milk & broth ….and enough water to cover everything
– put the lid on the pot and simmer for about 30 minutes (until the cabbage and parsnips are cooked through)
Ingredients for Coconut ‘Rice’
– 6 cups of grated cauliflower
– 1/2 cup of fresh coconut ground coconut meat
– 1/2 t garlic powder
– 1 spring onion (greens only) – chopped
– handful of pomegranate seeds
– 1/2 t sea salt
– place cauliflower, coconut, garlic & salt in a pan along with a bit of water. I start with about 1/3 cup and as it cooks off add a bit more water, until the ‘rice’ is tender and all the water is cooked off.
– once ‘rice’ is cooked, top with spring onions and pomegranate seeds.