This broccoli salad is totally AIP and Paleo and totally perfect to bring along to your next family gathering or potluck. It’s sweet and tangy and has a secret ingredient that everyone will love! No one will guess it’s good for you.
This broccoli salad is totally AIP and Paleo and totally perfect to bring along to your next family gathering or potluck. It will quickly become a favorite for your whole family.
I always thought the word ‘potluck’ was funny.
The official definition is.. a situation in which one must take a chance that whatever is available will prove to be good or acceptable… or more commonly used as…a meal or party to which each of the guests contributes a dish. The concept makes sense, but the word itself just makes me laugh.
It’s an image in my head of me walking up to a long table full of food, someone handing me a plate and saying GOOD LUCK. Before AIP, potlucks were always fun. I’d take a little bit of this and a little bit of that and when someone wanted me to try a bite of their dish I would do so happily.
Now, I approach potlucks with a little more of the thought of GOOD LUCK. There’s always some fear as I approach the table wondering what I’ll find there. Will I be eating carrot sticks for dinner again, or might I find some other AIP safe fare.
I’m also always a little nervous when I have to bring something to a potluck. I wonder if people will think my dish is weird? Will it be obvious that it’s mine? Will people turn their nose up at it because they think it’s healthy? Obviously I’m overthinking the potluck, but I know we’ve all been there.
This salad is the perfect potluck dish because you can easily double or triple the recipe, plus, it’s reminiscent of the broccoli salad that many people might be used to seeing at potlucks, so your dish won’t stand out as weird. I’m sure you know the broccoli salad I’m talking about…the one with the creamy ranch dressing and cheese and bacon. The bacon stayed, and everything else went away, but I promise you won’t miss all of the dairy. There is still plenty of flavor to go around.
Other great Potluck Ideas:
It’s Broccoli Salad Time…
This broccoli salad is totally AIP/ Paleo and totally perfect for bringing to your next family gathering or potluck.
- Ingredients for the salad:
- 1 head broccoli (smallish) – chopped into small pieces
- Broccoli stalk- shredded/ grated
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 small red onion – diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro – chopped
- 4 slices bacon cooked + cooking fat
- 1/3 cup raisins
- Ingredients for the Dressing:
- (if you are prefer salads to be drenched in dressing consider doubling the dressing)
- 1/4 avocado
- 1/2 T apple cider vinegar
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/2 t sea salt
- bacon fat – whatever cooked off the bacon
- chop the broccoli (into small florets), onion, cilantro and place in a large bowl
- grate/ shred the broccoli stalk & the carrots – whiz in food processor – and add to bowl
- cook the bacon, drain on paper towel and place to the side
- make the dressing – place all dressing ingredients in food processor and blend until smooth
- pour dressing over salad and mix well
- add crumbled bacon & raisins and mix again
- enjoy immediately or chill for and hour before eating (for flavors to meld) – also good as leftovers the next day