This fiesta lime chicken salad is AIP chicken salad at it’s best and it will quickly become a family favorite!! The tang of the lime, the sweetness of the strawberries combine perfectly with the avocado and marinated chicken for a chicken salad that you’re going to want to make over and over again. It’s perfect for a simple family dinner, a picnic in the park or for packing in a lunchbox. Make sure you save this recipe for the next time you find yourself craving an AIP chicken salad.
The last 4 weeks have been unusual to say the least and what I’m craving now more than anything is something that at least resembles ‘normal’ life.
Don’t get me wrong, the last 4 weeks have been great, but sooooo out of the ordinary. I love adventure (I mean it’s even in the name of the blog… haha), but sometimes you just want things to slow down a bit.
If you follow me on social media, you’ve seen some of this, but if not, here’s a peak into the last 4 weeks.
- my parents came to visit
- it was crazy foggy for like 4 days in Abu Dhabi
- we played indoor glow in the dark putt-putt with my parents and in-laws
- lots and lots of Catan was played (ok that’s not unusual)
- my hubby and I went to Thailand with my parents
- we rode elephants through the jungle
- the four of us went to a Thai cooking school
- after less than 24 hours at home, we went to India for a friends wedding
- and now that we’re back, my hubby’s working different hours at a different site
SEE… everything is a little unusual these days and I’m ready for something that looks like a normal week. For me that would be a week where I manage to keep up with dishes and laundry, have time to cook most days and get to work on this blog and recipe creation more than just a few minutes a day.
BUT…. until then I’m going to eat this fiesta lime chicken salad.
That’s what I do when things get hectic and crazy. I eat familiar foods. I wear familiar clothes. And, I try as much as possible to get back to some semblance of a routine.
What do you do when things start to get crazy in your life? Any tips to share with the class? I know we’d all appreciate some ideas, so feel free to add them in the comments below.
Time for some AIP Chicken Salad:
This salad practically makes itself, which makes it such a great recipe for those days when you don’t have a lot of time in the kitchen. Marinate the chicken in the morning, or batch cook it to be able to make this salad in no time. Then, when you’re ready for salad, it’s a few minutes with the knife and chopping board and it’s salad time. This salad is great on it’s own – piled high on a bed of greens, or perfect to wrap up in your favorite AIP flatbread.
If you need a recipe for flatbread, check out this recipe for AIP chapatis, or check out the garlic cilantro roti recipe in ‘My Paleo AIP Indian Adventure (that’s my favorite pairing for this salad).
AND… if you’re really short on time, here’s a total no-cook option…. buy a plain roasted chicken at the store, and use it instead of cooking your own chicken, just mix the marinate ingredients together like a salad dressing and use that instead of the lime juice at the end of the recipe. TOTAL NO-COOK DINNER WIN!
Let’s get on to the recipe:
This fiesta lime chicken salad is AIP chicken salad at it’s best. The tang of the lime with the sweetness of the strawberries combine perfectly with the avocado and marinated chicken for a chicken salad that you’re going to want to make over and over again. It’s perfect for a simple family dinner, a picnic in the park or for packing in a lunchbox. Make sure you save this recipe for the next time you find yourself craving an AIP chicken salad.
- 3 limes -juiced – divided
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 – 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 2 large chicken breasts – cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 medium avocados
- 6-8 large strawberries – diced
- handful of cilantro leaves
- 1 large red onion – quartered and sliced
- marinate the chicken – cut chicken into bit sized pieces and place in a large zip top bag with the juice of 2 limes, 1 TBSP olive oil, 1/2 tsp sea salt, marjoram and ginger. Massage the marinate into the chicken and set in the fridge to marinate at least 20 minutes or up to several hours.
- cook the chicken – heat 1/2 TBSP olive oil in a large skillet and place chicken breast pieces in the hot skillet, turn regularly until chicken is browned on all sides and completely cooked through (about 10-12 minutes total)
- chop salad ingredients – avocados, onion, strawberries & cilantro- and place in a large bowl
- cut chicken into smaller pieces and add to bowl
- toss together
- squeeze the juice of remaining lime over the salad
- season with up to 1/4 tsp sea salt (to taste)
- mix well
- serve on a bed of baby spinach (or other greens) or in your favorite wrap
If you like this salad, try these other ideas for packed lunches: