This chunky salmon chowder is AIP and paleo friendly and combines fresh salmon with sweet potatoes in a dairy free cream sauce for a great family dinner!
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 medium red onion
- 4 stalks of celery
- 1/2 TBSP garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- pinch of saffron – steeped in 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 small sweet potatoes
- 2-3 medium turnips
- 4-6 cups of fish stock (or water)
- 2 skinless salmon fillets (12-16 oz total)
- 1 can of coconut milk (full fat – not light)
- 1/2 TBSP fish sauce
- handful of cilantro
- dice onion and celery
- heat oil in a large pot over a medium heat – add onions once oil is hot and allow to sweat out for 2 minutes before adding celery – allow to cook until almost brown
- while onions and celery cook, peel and dice sweet potatoes and turnips
- once onions and celery are almost brown, add garlic and turmeric and stir to combine
- then add the saffron along with the 1/4 cup of water (to steep saffron just place in hot water for 2-3 minutes)
- add the diced sweet potatoes and turnips and cover with water (or stock) and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and simmer until veggies are tender (15-20 minutes).
- while veggies are cooking, cut salmon fillets into 1 inch cubes
- once veggies are tender, use a potato masher to mash about 1/2 of them still in the pot.
- add the salmon, coconut milk and fish sauce and stir well
- allow fish to cook for about 5 minutes
- add rough chopped cilantro and allow to cook another 2-3 minutes
- serve and enjoy!