Summer Berry Parfait ~ AIP and Paleo
Packed with the best summer berries and creamy, yet dairy free, lemon pudding, this Summer Berry Parfait is sure to be the perfect AIP Paleo treat. Perfect for July Fourth, summer BBQs or any time you want the taste of summer in your life!
Do you eat seasonally?
Are there certain foods that are only summer foods for you and others that are only fall foods?
Seasons and weather and which foods are appropriate which times of the year are so random in my mind. Like take today for instance. It is 10 am and it is 100F outside. That may not sound so back, but it’s also almost 60% humidity and there is a heat index of 124. If I were a ‘normal’ human being I’d be making us big no-cook salads for dinner…. but no… I’m making a stewed lamb dish that’s heavy and ‘fall-like.’
I may eat foods randomly throughout the year, but there are some foods that when I eat them I feel like I’m in a different time or place or season. And one of those foods is berries. Anytime I see something with fresh berries on it, it just screams summer… salads to grilled chicken and berries, putting berries on my hubby’s oatmeal (his one non-aip indulgence), and especially treats like this bright and cheery Summer Berry Parfait.
Just looking at it makes me want to put on my swimsuit and hit the pool.
I know that summer is coming to an end and some of you already have kids back in school, but it’s still heat index of 120+F around here, so I thought there was definitely time for one more yummy summer treat.
These little parfaits were our 4th of July dessert this year, but with their simple summer flavors you could enjoy these Summer Berry Parfaits any time of year for a taste of summer. Plus, their pretty quick and easy to make (need a bit of chilling time), but hands on is minimum.
If you like these, you might like some of these other treats:
And, if you’re anything like me and totally freaking out about fall coming and all the busyness and wondering how you’re going to fit it all in… you may want to check out this awesome new AIP resource packed with 120 complete meals that take 30 minutes or less to get on the table.
Who’s ready for Dessert?
- 1 can coconut milk
- zest from 2 lemons
- 2 TBSP honey
- 2 tsp gelatin
- 1 cup fresh or frozen mixed berries
- 2 TBSP honey
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup water
and LOTS of Berries (about 2 cups)
- heat 1/3 can of coconut milk until almost boiling and divide between 2 bowls.
- In 1 bowl sprinkle gelatin and allow to bloom. I
- n the other bowl stir in lemon zest and honey.
- After 3 minutes, whisk gelatin into the milk in the bowl until all dissolved and frothy.
- Combine the 2 bowls and the remaining room temp coconut milk.
- Stir well, cover and refrigerate about 90 minutes to start setting.
combine all ingredients in a saucepan and allow to simmer until water cooks out and berries break down
- fill the bottom of 4 small glasses with berries (reserving a few for the top).
- Cover berries with pudding.
- Allow to chill in fridge another 30-45 minutes.
- Top with blueberries, then a layer of compote then a couple of strawberry pieces for garnish.
- Cover and chill until ready to eat.